Donate to Illuminate Contact TSF
Visit us on Facebook Visit us on Twitter Visit us on YouTube Visit us on Instagram Visit us on Linkedin Visit us on Tiktok

Choose Your Language:

Dazmine’s NMO Story – A Single Mother Living with NMO

Posted by: The Sumaira Foundation in NMO, Patient, Voices of NMO

In August 2019, while at work, I began to notice a change in my right eye. I thought it was the contacts I was wearing, so I removed them. Still, my vision felt strange. I realized that I was going blind and needed to go to an eye doctor.

The eye doctor mentioned multiple sclerosis (MS), and I got scared. I was referred to a specialist who ran a number of tests. Later that night, I received a call from the specialist who told me I had optic neuritis and would need to see a neurologist.

While waiting for an appointment with the neurologist, things were not getting better. A nurse friend of mine advised me to go to the emergency room. At the ER, they did a CT scan and confirmed I had optic neuritis. But still no treatment!

Finally, I was able to see a neurologist. I was treated with IV steroids for five days of IV steroids followed by a taper. My vision never returned, leaving me completely blind in my right eye.

The neurologist ordered more tests and told me the disease I had was NMO.

I was scared and felt alone. I was a 27-year-old mother of 2 and was afraid I would lose the ability to be their mother.

I was out of town for a new job when I had tingling and a strange feeling in both my legs. I called my brother and another friend crying, afraid I was going paralyzed – because that’s what this disease can do. I decided to go to the ER.

Let me be transparent, I was not interested in taking medication such as an Immunosuppressant.

In 2021 I found out I was pregnant. I spoke with my neurologist, who decided we’d discuss treatment after my pregnancy. I had my daughter, my third child, in January of 2022.

After her birth, I started to have eye pain in my right that wouldn’t go away. The doctor put me on oral steroids. A few weeks later, my vision began to get blurry in my left eye, which was my good eye. I was then put on IV steroids for 5 days. I cried and broke down to my father, the thought of going completely blind was devastating and heartbreaking to me for the sake of my children.

A few weeks later, I was hospitalized because I had paresthesia (numbness) on the right side of my body.

Staying in the hospital, away from my children for five days, especially my two-month-old, was another breaking point. I have cried many times since then.

The neurology team and I decided I would start IVIG infusions.

I am thankful that there is medication available.

I am hopeful that there will be a cure.

Industry Partners

Community Partners

WARNING: Internet Explorer does not support modern web standards. This site may not function correctly on this browser and is best viewed on Chrome, Firefox or Edge browsers. Learn More.